What's the deal with the blurring line?

Sometimes, what I read seems so real that I'm not always sure it didn't really happen!
For example, I am quite certain that Marcellus really never was the same after The Robe.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Laura takes pictures too!

Sunset on Lake Michigan Apple Picking

6 comments:

EB said...

i especially like the artistic picture of the apple tree loaded with apples. good job laura!

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! But I'm relatively certian that the first one is actually sunrise isn't it? Well let me look again, yes definitely sunrise. The others may be sunset, but that first one. . .

Transplant said...

My dear Anonymous, you need to study your geography. From the location of the photographer, it would be impossible to photograph a sunrise over Lake Michigan. One would have to be in somewhere like Sheboygan, Wisconsin.

Anonymous said...

Dear Transplant,

I simply must stand by my original analysis notwithstanding your clearly superior knowledge of the local geography, and here is why.

First, your challenge assumes that the person who took the snapshot was on the Michigan side of the lake (if in fact it is a picture of Lake Michigan, or for that matter any lake--how do we know?--but that's a discussion for another day). Nothing in the photo supports any of those assumptions. In fact, other than the feet, which are easily recognized by the toenail art as belonging to someone who might be capable of inadvertently substituting a sunrise for a sunset, nothing in the pictures ties it to any particular place. Thus, we definitely need to know more than geography to determine the correct solar orientation.

Second, I know that there are photographers with Sheboygan connections, and one in particular who often snaps shots of sunrises and purposefully labels them sunsets. Who can say why she engages in this confusing substitution other than its sheer randomness. Who would ever even suspect mislabeling. But clearly, it happens. I would have thought with your geographic proximity to the Sheboygan, you would have known that fact. But then, I guess leaving your home before dawn to perform your calling, and standing all day in a windowless OR puts a limit on what you are exposed to from the outside world. You probably need to take more time off. Anyway, these pictures have to be a part of a Sheboygan Shenanigan. You just have to be careful with anyone with connections to Wisconsin, that is anyone who has been to Wisconsin, anyone who lives close to Wisconsin, anyone who can spell Wisconsin, or Sheboygan, or shenanigan. I could go on and on, and though sometimes I do, I won't.

Third, just look at the hues in the background of the picture. Unless someone has doctored the photos, that Matchbox redness is indicative of atmospheric conditions at sunrise. Check out the car. In the morning its color matches the sky.

These things seem so self-evident.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that . . . well I digress. I’ll leave the recitation of the preamble to you to do in your own time.

Anonymous said...

I've been told that people from Sheboygan can not read the paragraph set out below. Try it and record your success here:

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig?

Anonymous said...

Would Anonymous please cite a couple of sources for the allegedly dishonest "Sheboygan" photographer???