Nevertheless, I did learn some things that I hope I won't forget. I loved the quote from Corrie Ten Boom's book The Hiding Place(which I read many years ago) when she was fearful that her father might die.
The author also quotes Spurgeon from time to time, who was undoubtedly very wise.
And of course, there are the very words of Christ Himself in Matthew 6:
When we worry that bad things will happen, we are reminded that God is in control, and that nothing can happen to me that has not gone through Him first. I have no doubt believing that, but sometimes it is small comfort when I know that God has decided that it is ok for some pretty terrible things to happen to some people (i.e. 9/11, cancer, car wrecks, aneurysms, wars, hurricanes, etc. You get the idea!) At this point, I'm reminded of the words to Nichole Nordemann's song, "Gratitude." There are times I have listened to it 5 or 6 times in a row, to let the words sink in deep, so I can develop this kind of trust, kind of a "Our God is able. . . but even if He does not. . ." like Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego.
Spurgeon said ". . . with the fear of God, there is no room for other fears."
The author points to the example of Christian in the classic Pilrim's Progress when he met Timrous and Mistrust.
The author goes on and talks about other kinds of worry - like worrying too much about what people think, and how we should live our lives for an Audience of One. She discusses the practical side of thigns, a la Philippians 4:6-8.
Winning over worry seems largely a matter of what do I allow my mind to dwell on? Reminds me of the Casting Crowns song, when "the waves are calling out my name, and they laugh at me, reminding me of all the times I've tried before and failed. . . But the voice of truth tells me a different story." Here's hoping I'll be listening to the voice of truth! (I mean, anyone who happens to read this and actually has a problem with worry!)
2 comments:
i think you meant some of that for me. :)
what an excellent post, applicable to most any situation...
Post a Comment