Sometimes, what I read seems so real that I'm not always sure it didn't really happen! For example, I am quite certain that Marcellus really never was the same after The Robe.
Thursday, November 16, 2006
Just
Anyone out there who likes grammar, do you get annoyed when people pray using the word "just" over and over and over? This article has some good thoughts.
2 comments:
Anonymous
said...
Some other words or phrases that are irritating:
"hereinafter;"
"whereupon;"
"make an application" (rather than apply);
"in respect of" (rather than respecting);
"notwithstanding;" and most especially,
“In witness hereof the parties have executed these presents the day and year first hereinabove written.”
Submitted these presents the day and year first hereinabove written, notwithstanding the critique, whereupon and in respect of plainer language I remain,
2 comments:
Some other words or phrases that are irritating:
"hereinafter;"
"whereupon;"
"make an application" (rather than apply);
"in respect of" (rather than respecting);
"notwithstanding;" and most especially,
“In witness hereof the parties have executed these presents the day and year first hereinabove written.”
Submitted these presents the day and year first hereinabove written, notwithstanding the critique, whereupon and in respect of plainer language I remain,
Anon.
Here are some problem words and phrases with substitutes I found on the Internet
As a result of -- Because of
At this point in time -- Now
By virtue of -- Because of
Consequently -- So
Contained in -- In
Enclosed please find -- We enclose
Endeavour -- Try
Expeditiously -- Quickly
Fails to -- Does not
Fortwith -- Immediately
Give consideration to -- Consider
Henceforth -- From now on
Implement --Carry out, fulfill
In respect of --About, for, as to
In the event of - If
Make an application -- Apply
Make payment --Pay
Not less than -- At least
Not more than -- At most
Notwithstanding -- Even if
Prior to -- Before
Provided that -- But, if
Pursuant to -- Under, according to
Request -- Ask
Subsequent to -- After
Anon.
Post a Comment