What's the deal with the blurring line?

Sometimes, what I read seems so real that I'm not always sure it didn't really happen!
For example, I am quite certain that Marcellus really never was the same after The Robe.

Friday, March 02, 2007

The set of the sails

One ship drives east and another drives west
With the selfsame winds that blow.
’Tis the set of the sails
And not the gales
Which tells us the way to go.

Like the winds of the sea are the ways of fate,
As we voyage along through life:
’Tis the set of a soul
That decides its goal,
And not the calm or the strife.

by Ella Wheeler Wilcox

3 comments:

Nanc said...

Wow, that's cool. "Do not be anxious about anything . . . "

Transplant said...

I don't believe in fate, but in God's sovereign, loving hand which overrules all the events of our lives. But I didn't want to change the words of someone else's poem!

I think in particular of those who suffer, yet "the set of the soul" determines how that suffering affects them. May I be so faithful should I ever be in that position!

Anonymous said...

He plans the end from the beginning.