I never thought about meeting monarchs here in Austin, but apparently, they fly right over this area in their fall migration. They seem to like the little creek behind the house. The first night, I'm sure I saw 100 of them down there! But it was muddy and I did not go too close. It was cool to see them hanging on the trees resting, undoubtedly talking about the miles they had covered that day, and wondering how much further it was to Mexico.
2 comments:
Kathy,
I remember a church trip to the coast that you and I took when I was in college. The Monarchs were so thick that we ran the wipers almost constantly on the way home to clean off the windsheild. After about an hour of driving, the Roadrunner started running hot, and when we stopped to find out why, we saw that the radiator was completely covered with butterflies. We washed them off and everything was fine.
Remember,
Dave
Those Monarchs are so cool! One time on Frazier Island off the coast of Australia I got swarmed by hundreds of blue butterflies...it was awesome!
Post a Comment