What's the deal with the blurring line?

Sometimes, what I read seems so real that I'm not always sure it didn't really happen!
For example, I am quite certain that Marcellus really never was the same after The Robe.

Monday, January 08, 2007

Pluto's Revenge

So it seems the American Dialect Society also has a word of the year. And they chose. . .(drum roll, please)
TO PLUTO:--to demote or devalue someone or something, as happened to the former planet Pluto when the General Assembly of the International Astronomical Union decided Pluto no longer met its definition of a planet.
Just in case you're mildly interested, past winners are:
  • 2005 -- truthiness (what one wishes to be true regardless of the facts)
  • 2004 -- red/blue/purple states
  • 2003 -- metrosexual (fashion conscious heterosexual male)
  • 2002 -- weapons of mass destruction (WMDs)
  • 2001 -- 9/11
  • 2000 -- chad
  • 1999 -- Y2K
  • 1998 -- the prefix e- (for electronic, as in email and ecommmerce)
  • 1997 -- millenium bug or Y2K bug
  • 1996 -- mom(as in soccer mom)
  • 1995 -- tie between World Wide Web and newt (to make aggressive changes as a newcomer)
  • 1994 -- cyber
  • 1993 -- information superhighway
  • 1992 -- Not!
  • 1991 -- mother of all
It's kind of like a little US history lesson. Anyhow, I warned you; I do like words.(Maybe I should have a Word of the Year contest too!)

No comments: