What's the deal with the blurring line?

Sometimes, what I read seems so real that I'm not always sure it didn't really happen!
For example, I am quite certain that Marcellus really never was the same after The Robe.

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Go figure

Our city is tearing up sidewalks. Yep, perfectly good sidewalks being removed. Somehow, this is compliance with the ADA. I don't doubt it but sometimes I wonder about the folks who think this stuff up! This seems crazy to me!!! Example of a sidewalk that use to lead into the street that has a driveway on the opposite side of the street. The driveway is not an approved curb cut for pedestrian traffic. This is an example of a sidewalk that entered into a roadway that does not have an access sidewalk on the opposite side of the street. In these cases during the following construction season approved sidewalks and curb cuts will be installed on both sides of the street. This is an example of a sidewalk that entered into a major roadway (Square Lake Road) that does not have an access sidewalk on the opposite side of the street or a marked crosswalk.

I am very happy that life for the disabled individual is so much better than it was years ago. I'm so glad one is not confined to one's house because it's too hard to get anywhere in a wheelchair. However, this seems a bit ridiculous to me!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw a blind person with a cane walking down the sidewalk yesterday. He tapped the cement to know where to step. I suppose if he tapped a sidewalk that led to the street, the obvious inference would be that there is a way to get down the curb, that there is a cross walk and that there is a way to get to a sidewalk on the other side.

amberWIRE said...

amazingly, all three sidewalks that you pointed out looked like the same one over and over to me...but with different reason attached :0)

Transplant said...

Indeed, all 3 are the same non-sidewalks, that is, the dirt left when a sidewalk is removed. #2 & #3 are the same, but the first one shows sidewalk pointing facing driveway, which looks like access to sidewalk, but is not considered acceptable according to ADA.

Anonymous said...

I know this game. Its in the weekly edition of Life, at the back, and the pictures can't be the same.

Picture one is across the street from a house and includes a mailbox. The grass is noticably brown and the block of sidewalk on the right side is lighter than the rest and is at 180 degrees to the block beside it.

Picture two the grass is greener than one, the sidewalk block to the right is the same basic color as the block next to it and the lines made by the blocks where they touch is not 180 degrees. The house and mailbox are missing. The dirt is a different color. There is something like a grate in the street missing from the other two pictures.

Picture three has no house across the street but rather a fence missing in pictures one and two. There are other differences, but one is enough to show its not the same.

The real question arises then, why would Transplant offer these up as "the same non-sidewalks." She usually seems like such a straight forward person.

Ha