As we waited at the end, we began to hear rumors about the race being cancelled and about runners being transported by bus to the finish line. You could hear sirens not too far away, and you knew it must be serious. It was very scary being a waiter at this point. We spent some time keeping Carolyn entertained and hydrated.
We were signed up to receive text messages as our runners passed certain points, but this service was spotty at best. I think it was because we were underground for the train when certain messages were sent. But I got one that said Craig had crossed the finish line with a 3:52 time, beating his goal by a whopping 8 minutes, and that on a very hot day!
We knew that Bryan and Laura had passed the 35K point. After waiting a good bit, Michelle & Kristin(Bryan's sister) decided to go wait for them at the 25 mile point, and run that last mile with them. This from my non-impulsive daughter - she must really be in love! This they did, and finally in came Bryan and Laura together, with Michelle & Kristin. Bryan was quite sick by this time (heat exhaustion, I presume)
Laura was on some kind of runner's high, though she has a rather severe blister on her toe, I think she considers it a sort of badge.
All done - heading home now. What a day! How about those neon yellow shirts? This were made by a cousin of Bryan's, and they were perfect for the support team. We could find each other from a distance, and we all have a souvenir!
We are thankful that all our runners are well. It was a hard day!
3 comments:
Wanted to check in on you all -we heard about the heat from all the way over here... and are glad everyone's well. Congrats on beating your goal time, Mr. Barton!
GREAT blogging, Mom!! I love the pic of me and dad!!
I love seeing all of your great pictures! Nice job documenting the event!!
Post a Comment