Tonight I went to the dead apple pile, armed with plastic bags and wasp spray. I was hoping that I had timed my venture with a sleepy time for wasps. At first, I only saw a few. I took the nearby apples and began to spray wasps who came too near.
Sprayed wasps definitely die. But their brothers do not.
I heard waspy sounds from inside the plastic bag on the ground. Then it was that I knew that I had picked up wasp-bearing apples unaware! I sprayed the bag.
Thoroughly, just to be sure. But then I didn't want to touch it. I got a new bag and tried to proceed with a little more caution, spraying as I went. One bold wasp was spared the spray, and came at me head on! Honest! Heading for my nose! I took a dive away just in time, as he was 3" from my nose.
Enough, I said! Let there be dead apples that rot and kill the grass! Let others boldly go where I fear to go! I came in and reported to the one who fears no flying insect.
In the house, as I held my final bag of a paltry few apples, I heard the unmistakable sound of wasp wing against Walmart plastic! Wasp in my bag! Wasp in my bag! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To the garbage! To the garbage! In the bag! Tie up the black bag! As I return to the house, I still hear the more distant sound of wasp wing on plastic.
I don't feel so good about going in the garage, knowing a wasp in a bag can likely find a way out. And when he does, he is not likely to be a very happy camper. But as Scarlett O'Hara would say, "I'll think about that tomorrow!".
2 comments:
you fear, yet you return.
I finally have a Wasp story, though, thankfully, not a very exciting one. Yesterday we went to a friend's house and there was an innocent looking bush out front next to where we parked. No flowers or anything. No visible nests. Not the sort of place one would expect Wasps congregations. But there must have been some sort of planning error because there was a Wasp Convention being held in this bush. At least a hundred Wasps buzzing ominously around and in this bush. I almost didn't get out of the car there were so many. But we snuck along quickly and quietly (and kept the baby far away from the foul things) and all made it to and from the house unharmed. No Wasps joined us for the car ride home, thankfully. The end.
Post a Comment